Sunday, May 9, 2010

40+ I am Officially Called a Master's


I would never say I am a Master at anything, more like a Jack of All Trades Master of none, but here in the Sport/Athlete world as I continue to race I fall into the Master's division. I remember when I was in my 20's racing thinking, "man...that's old. I sure hope I'm that fast when I'm that age" I laugh now that I said that. I am actually faster than I was in my 20's and definitely a much stronger and hopefully smarter athlete.

Since Thursday, I have been very busy. Friday started as usual but, today Grandparents were here!! YEAH!! I got Cameron off to school and really just relaxed with my In-Laws for a while after I cleaned up. My In-Laws and Rob were acting kind of strange and kept going out to the store, across the street, whatever. I thought about it but, I had to go get Cameron, everyone was so busy.. This is my Mother's Day present!! So Sweet!!


I had to go to South Austin to coach a client on his swimming at 4:30 so I headed out at 3:30. We had a great training session, I called Rob and headed home..I decided to just hop in the car and leave rather than take the time to change clothes. We had planned to have sushi and I was in a hurry to get home to clean up.


I arrived home at about 6:50 to find my house full of some really great friends.. SURPRISE!!!!! WhAT?? I'm still in my swimsuit.. I look out on the patio and see new furniture, Rob built me a patio set and it is AMAZING. He built it with Scott one of our very good friends. My jaw dropped.

You fold the benches up and it makes a table.. Seats 6 -8 adults.. So Super cool and a fire pit. We had a yummy dinner out on the grill with some really amazing friends. Balloons were everywhere and I just was totally surprised.

Next on the list was ED.. Now ED made a bet with me that he could beat me at a 10k, for one..I was not about to let that happen, but he did push me to go harder. So, the bet was U had to kiss his check 40 times if he won and if I won, he had to drink 40oz of beer in 40 seconds. I was definitely going to win this one. Today was the day he had to pay the piper. AND... He did.. :40 seconds EXACTLY!!!
Now that's funny stuff and what Triathletes are made of.. I think he switched to water after this though and had some dinner.

This was nit the end of the surprise though, Rob made my Birthday cake as well... a 6 layer Rainbow Cake.. OMG.. you're kidding.. Nope.. here is it...


We had a ton of FUN!!!


After a great evening of fun, it was time for me to go to bed.  Before I head to bed though, I ask about a few of my missing friends, some, he just totally forgot to tell.  It was last minute and he was working as fast as he could to get the word out and he just missed some people so, he wanted to send his apologies, he tried... 

I have a race in the morning 5k but, it's going to be FAST!! I know, this is my third year to race this course.
I head off to bed past 11pm thinking, really I have a race in the morning...I just want to sleep.
6am.. time to wake up.. Race time is at 8:15 but, it's pretty far drive. I leave by 7:15 I arrive at about 7:45 so I have about 30 minutes to warmup.
I head over to get my race number and packet and run it back to the car. On the way I run into one of my girlfriends I have known since middle school, I think maybe even elementary school, Katie. Some of you will recognize her. She lives here in Austin as well and we have run together before. She's Adorable!!!
I get to my car drop off my packet and start my warmup. My back is very tight this morning and I am a little stressed about it. After my warmup I lay down on the sidewalk to stretch it out. It feels better but, it can go either way. I pray for the best and head to the starting line. I had a late night and hope I am ready for this. I see quite a few of the girls I race against and I know this is going to be a fast start.
We head out and my first mile is under 6 minutes, thankfully the temperature is cool so I am feeling good. I hit mile 2 in a little over 6 minutes still on pace to break 20 minutes, I remember thinking "I have 1.1 mile left, run/puke or die but DO NOT SLOW DOWN" I pushed through a wave of nausea and crossed the line in exactly 19:20. I was 11th overall female and competed against some super fast athletes on this day. Felt good!! I am more of a distance runner so these super fast starts can sometimes blow me up. Today was a good day for this distance.



This is me with Katie and some of the amazing teachers she works with and students as well as her son who ran the 5k in I think 34 minutes!!  GREAT JOB!!

Me getting my award from Elvis. Rock, Rattle, and Roll BABY!! My first Master's Award :o)

I head home to hang out with the kids and my In-Laws. I was hoping to get a ride in but, my In-laws had to get on a flight back to Chicago and Rob was riding so I would wait until later.
At about 4pm I ended up riding my spin bike to loosen my legs up and get some kind of ride in for the day. I was good with that. I need the recovery time. The rest of the evening is playtime...
iSwim,iRide,iRun,iPlay...i40

No comments:

Post a Comment