Saturday, March 27, 2010

What a SURPRISE




Well this morning started super early.. 4am to be exact. Had to park at the airport for a bus ride over to Hyatt LostPines resort in Bastrop which is outside of Austin. That took about 40 minutes on the bus so I wanted to make sure I was there early, just in case there were any surprises at the parking or whatever.

Everything was super organized and easy.. Perfect for veterans and beginners alike!! This race was catered to women, the Zooma women's race series http://www.zooma.com/ to be exact. There were some guys but very few. Race start was great and the charity was Lifeworks which provides for families and children who come from abuse as well as foster children. Mind you, the gentleman who runs this particular non for profit organization has one set of amazing pipes!!! WOW!! HE could sing!! He sang the National Anthem and it was just beautiful.

The race started and I was in the front running back and forth with another girl, her name was Sheila, I met her after the race. We went back and forth and were pretty close until about mile 4-5 she sped up and I couldn't hold her pace, not today. This course was tougher then the last 2 Half Marathons I've run in the last 4 weeks and I have to say running 3 half marathons in 4 weeks only 3 weeks after a FULL MARATHON is tough. I felt everyone of those hills today.

Mile 9 hit me pretty hard and as much as I wanted to cheer for the other runners on the other side of the road I was in second place and holding and that hill for me was tough so I lowered my visor down and went deep inside my head. The wonderful runners were cheering for me, this was kind of an out and back section, so they knew I was the second female. I wanted to cheer for them as well, I usually do but I had to save my energy. I waved periodically and mustered a "great job" a few times, but I needed to stay focused at this point. The next runner was about half mile back. So to all those amazing runners...GREAT JOB!!!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!

Miles 10-13 wound around the resort and golf course which I thought was pretty cool and fun!! I had a good lead to hold second, since I knew I was to far back to catch Sheila I just kind of fell into a good pace and finished feeling good and not too tired. Sheila was at the finish to greet me and we then waited for 3 and 4. They were really close together and had gone back and forth a few times which I saw on some turns. They were all from out of town so I was the first local finisher and that was cool:O)..

After we all talked race stuff, GREAT JOB LADIES, the difficulty of the course, yadda yadda we went on our ways, it was a tad chilly so I went to change clothes.. My lovely 2xU compression pants which I got at VO2 triathlon and cycles http://www.vo2tc.com/ and my lovely V5 shoes http://www.vibram.com/ the Vibram Five Fingers, I love these shoes!! Then I refueled with non other then POWERBAR!!! http://www.powerbar.com/ .. Shameless marketing I know but.. I use it so it works!!! Then I went to get my post race massage. Usually I skip this cause I forget but, I was at a SPA RESORT so I decided to take advantage of this. I am a huge advocate of massage.

After that I went in the race venue where they had all sorts of goodies to sale.. Perfect for a woman's race I'd say. I stopped to chat with the sales rep from a company called BornFit http://www.bornfit.com/ it's super cute clothes for athlete mom's :o) yes, another plug but these girls Jen Friedman and I am sorry I didn't get the other girls name were super cool!!

Now it's was time for the awards so... I will thrilled to place second overall!! I won a gift certificate for a new pair of running shoes and a cool book called Run Like a Mother... 'How to get moving and not lose your family, job, or sanity:O)' . Looking forward to reading it, but I think I have already lost my sanity...LOL ;O). After that I got my way yummy cupcake from http://www.hillcountrycupcake.com/ and WOW was that delish!!!

It was getting close for me to go but I had to make one last stop... The SPA.. they had the VIBRAM 5 Finger shoes on sale for race participants for a steal so, I got a cool new pair.. :o) and this whole group of women that worked there were sooo super cool!!! Thank you ladies!!

Now it was time for the bus ride back to the parking lot... ho hum.. really non event full.. I arrive home without incident.

NOW FOR THE SURPRISE... My brother and his wife Jen are here with my 9 month old nephew, Landric, who I haven't seen yet.. They live in Springdale, Arkansas. He and his wife own http://www.springdalecountrygardens.com/ it obviously runs in our family http://www.gunters.com/ is my parents shop. He's super busy so I never get to see them so I was soooooo super surprised. What a wonderful surprise to come home to. They will be at the 40to40 kick off tomorrow.

So, tonight we are cooking fajitas..Yummy, having a cold drink and celebrating day 41 until I turn forty and family..I love my family!!! Well y'all, have a great evening, see you tomorrow.

7:30 am ride to start my day!!! No plugs yet for that..

Oh and one more thing.. Race Director Sara and her crew for Zooma were absolutely FABULOUS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment