Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 37... the Countdown Continues

Today started in a bit of a rush.. Woke up a tad late, had to make breakfast and leave to take Cameron to school by 7:15.. Did it!! Rob is out of town so I am on my own, this isn't unusual. He does travel for work a lot. So I make it work.

Today I hit my swim, not feeling to great. All this racing is taking it's toll on my immune system. I start my swim with and easy 1000.. 40 laps straight:o).. then I swim about 2000 more in sets, of course. I felt fine to swim, but I think I am getting a cold. I am never sick so hopefully it won't last.

After my swim, I made a phone call to Team in Training, Leukemia Lymphoma Society. I am interviewing to be Head Coach for the Triathlon Team for Austin. I have coached with them in Los Angeles and had over 80 half and full marathon finishers that I coached, my completion rate was 100%, which means all the athletes I coached had a successful race and finish. This is such an amazing organization and a huge way to get and stay inspired. I look forward to hopefully working with them in the near future.

Now it was off to run a few errands, and get Cameron... YEAH!!! We get home and I start yard work. Gotta get the mulch done!! Finished my task and now it's time to get ready for our afternoon ride!! We had about 25-30 mph winds, so we knew coming back would be tough.

V shows up and off we go, my children are in the safe hands of the sitter, Gretchen. I am good to go. Ed meets us road side about 10 minutes north on Parmer and off we ride. We have the wind at our backs at this point so things were pretty awesome. We took a side road so we could ride east bound, then turned around for west bound. All courtesy of one of the songs I tend to sing when we are riding.. Smokey and the Bandit "east bound down loaded up and truckin,we gonna do what they say can't be done.. We got a long way to go and a short time to get there I'm east bound, watch ol' bandit RIDE" Anyhow, we hit that direction to avoid the wind a bit.

Back onto Parmer heading North again, I am determine to hit 40 miles in 2 hours, DRATS if the head wind is gonna kill that idea. So know I have to rearrange my 40 goal. I decide I'll just hit 40 mph with the wind at my back. So I hit it hard, we were on a gradual descent and I pedaled as hard and as fast as I could...40.2 to be exact!! WooHoo!! Then I decided Ihit it again on the next slight descent.. 40.3!! I had no more gears to push it faster or I could have. I was flyin'!!

Now for the turn around..UGH!! 8-10mph.. we hit 20-25mph a couple times but not many. Was just time to stay focused. I kept telling Ed and V this is what Kona(Ironman) is like. But, it's worse and lasts longer. Not a whole lot of conversation at this point. I was singing though. Alabama "Roll on Highway" I usually sing some kind of rolling song everytime I'm riding at some point. Journey "Wheels in the sky keep on turning" whatever comes to my mind. I sing the Muppets too "Moving right along in search of good times and good news with good friends you can't lose this could become a habit, opportunity knock once let's reach out and grab it together we'll nab it, we'll hitch hike, bus or yellow cab it...movin right along" Don't ask why I remember that song but, it's fitting at times. And it gives everyone a laugh especially when it hurts.

I am counting down the miles in 5 mile increments.. 10, 5 more.. we are almost done!!..It's not gonna be 40 but, it's 37 which is fitting for today, day 37 of the countdown. I get home start dinner in the oven and take off for laps aroung my block which take app 3 minutes each. I run 8 of them. DONE for the night. Dinner time, as I go in my neighbor is laughing at me, I am making him dizzy and myself as well. Loops.. good times:o).. My day is done, showers for all, my house is clean and I just want to go to bed. Oh, but first I gotta blog.. Then it's off to never land until tomorrow. I don't have a plan yet. Morgan has an Easter egg hunt as Mommy's Day out. Not sure how I'm gonna work my training in but, I usually figure it out, just gotta work in the 4 somewhere exciting. See you then!!




No comments:

Post a Comment