Monday, April 5, 2010

Day 32.. Getting Home on a Wrapper

Before I go into explaining my title, let me start my day. It's Monday and school is back in session, We make an on time departure and Cameron is off. Arriving back home with Morgan, I start to plan my day. I know I'm riding at 4:30 so it's my swim I am working in for my mid morning training session.
I wrote this morning on my training and multisport blog, http://www.irunitri.blogspot.com/ this is where I usually write about training, racing, nutrition and such. Today, I was writing about my training and racing dilemma for the week and weekend. Since earlier post, my plan has changed again. I'll get into that later. After writing and trying to catch up on email it was time to swim. Morgan and I head off to the gym so I can swim.. As usual, I have to hurry. I have 35 minutes to swim 2000 yards.. DONE.. 40 laps(1000 yds) at a time of course, not sure if I was going to get a 40 in at any other time today. And I was right.
Grab Morgan and off we go to run a couple errands and then to Cameron's school. We are super early, which is fine with me, so I can sit in the sun and read my Trail Runners Magazine. Before I know it school is out and off we go. We get home and I start getting ready for our ride. Straighten the house a bit, have lunch.. yes, at 3 pm. and now it's time to hit the road.
Ed arrives, Rob and I are ready to go.. Gretchen is here to take care of the kids. All is good. I am so happy right now, my face is smiling. We have the wind at our back and we are averaging over 21 mph for about 17 miles. Ed turns back a little early, so it's just Rob and me. We are planning to hit the end of Parmer for a good 40 miles. After some thought and discussion we decide to turn a bit early just for the sake of the brutal head wind, and I don't say this lightly. It was BRUTAL.
We are working as a team and taking turns pulling and drafting. He pulls on the flats, I pull on the hills. I am a good hill climber on the bike because of my power to weight ratio. The mantra that I say over and over again in my head helps, but that is a power secret that I dare not share. I would rather pull and lead. It doesn't always work but when it does... I fly like a bird. On the flats Rob is leading and giving me a break from the wind. Total Team work, I LOVE this kind of riding.. that smile on my whole face, I feel it all over. I love it!!
About 4 miles from home, my side wall on my tire BLEW. I was not just a a slow deflate, this was rapid and explosive.
This is the beginning of our ride with the wind at our back.
Now for the tire change which I of course have on video.
We had to use a wrapper for the sidewall hole. You can use dollar bills, fuel wrappers, whatever; but when you have a hole this big you need to use something. Thank you today for the Lemon Clif Bar. Rob ate the bar, I got the wrapper, I think he got the better end of the deal, perfect team. Checked the tire to make sure nothing else was in there and gave my new tube some air to give it some form. Put the Clif Bar wrapper in the tire in between the tire and the tube. Put everything back on the rim and it was time to inflate. We decided to only go to 80 psi. I got these great new small pumps from Cutter that have a gage.. Perfect for this type of situation, thank you Cutter. The reason was to much pressure and the tube would have bulged out and another flat.. I had no more tubes. So thankfully I am light enough to ride back on this and we were pretty close to home as well. All was good.  Except my hands were now a mess.  So I pull out my... time for a plug... Grease Monkey hand wipes


I texted Gustavo at VO2 in hopes that he has a tire for me. I ride a Cervelo P2K that uses 650 wheel size, that is not always stocked at bike shops.  So I am grateful he has them in stock, and he ordered my new Ultegra rear derailler as well!! YEAH. I would love to have the whole set replaced but, I am doing a piece at a time because of cost, of course at this point. I know a lot of you have no idea what I am talking about but, just google ULTEGRA or DURA-ACE or SRAM and look at the price and you'll see what I mean. It's like driving a Mercedes, all repairs and parts are pretty expensive. Oh... and this is my bike we're talking about.

Flat fixed, we are back on the road and on the way home. We end up riding about 35 miles; I put my running shoes on and head out the door. I decided I was going to run about 25 minutes with some speed and form drills at the end. Yippee, I am done. Time for showers, dinner, bedtime and ahhhhh peace and quiet. So, until tomorrow... Sweet dreams.. iSwim, iRide, iRun, iPlay!!!  Night night

No comments:

Post a Comment